Drain blockages, in particular blocked household drains, are inconvenient and can also be a potential health hazard. Most drain blockages are preventable and some of the common causes are avoidable.
Common causes of blocked drains
- pouring cooking fat, oils and grease¬†down drains – these can solidify into the waste system and are notoriously difficult to remove
- detergent scaling, particularly in hard water areas
- flushing paper and cloth products such as disposable nappies, sanitary towels, cotton wool buds and newspapers down toilets – they can form a solid mass and eventually stop the flow of water.
- pouring cement and plaster down drains – these can set rock-hard in the drain
- pouring waste oil from motor vehicles into drains – it is illegal to do this
- collapsed or damaged pipes.
How can I get my drains unblocked?
Contact a specialist contractor such as Scanseal and request a drain survey or quote to carry out the work. Alternatively you can hire the necessary drainage equipment and/or drain camera from Scanprobe if you are competent to perform the work yourself.
What if my drains keep blocking?
This may suggest that your pipes are faulty in some way. Tree root penetration and subsidence are common causes of broken pipes and specialist equipment is required to cut the roots and then repair the pipe.
If you are a property owner, you may want to have a drain survey using close circuit television (CCTV) equipment. You may find that the cost of a drain repair to your house is covered by your insurance.
Further help and advice
If you want to report a drain problem or require further advice please contact Scanprobe on 0203 253 2001 or email email@example.comTags: drain blockages, Drain Camera, drain repair, drain survey, drainage equipment, Scanprobe